My head has been pretty far up my own ass the past few days thinking some heavy thoughts, which I’m still trying to figure out how to articulate. I need a break, so I’m going back to basics. I left home five months ago today, and I’m going to take the time to reflect on all the experiences I’m so grateful for in that time. If I could bottle these moments, people, (food products), I would. For all the hiccups and heartaches, the universe has been good to me.
1. A dear friend and her Twilight obsession, which took me places I never would have gone otherwise.
2. That red-headed girl I met at the end of my first week, who has been good and true ever since.
3. Caravaggio and Bernini, Bernini and Caravaggio. Sometimes beauty is truth.
4. Buffalo mozzarella. Dear god, I will never eat like this again.
5. A glorious day spent on the fastest speedboat in Capri.
6. Learning (finally) to enjoy wandering alone.
7. A renewed appreciation for the music of the Beatles.
8. Sunlight sparkling on turquoise water. So. Many. Pictures…
9. Learning to play shuffleboard. And my two favorite shuffleboard buddies, who took care of me when I needed it most.
10. Meat. I have never liked red meat. And now, thanks to Moderno, nothing makes me happier than to eat so much I weep meat tears.
11. I could probably create an entire list just of favorite Slam Allen moments. But Slam jumping from the floor onto two chairs while wailing his heart out tops that list.
12. More than one crazy night watching the ship pull into Barcelona.
13. Orange gazpacho served in a wine glass: perfection.
14. The Notagains. Especially doing the tranistion into M.I.A.’s “Paper Planes” and a bar full of people shooting finger guns into the air.
15. The dusty sunlit hush of a museum.
16. A day spent in Palma physically storyboarding a film called “The Brown Identity.”
17. Watching the world wake up from a wooden train to Soller, mountains and ocean all tied together.
18. Gelato. Duh.
19. Park Guell with one of my best friends in the world, who flew all the way from Dublin, just to see me for the day…
20. Cigarettes and conversations until 8am…
21. The return of The Muse. I missed writing…
There are more. It’s just all still a blur right now. But the list will continue to grow. I can’t ever regret I did this.