I told myself I wouldn’t do this. My life is too up in the air right now. I may literally have to leave the country in order to earn money this year. I don’t know where I’ll be living in six months. I still have no money to accomplish things. And I didn’t even actually finish the first list.
But, fuck it. I don’t like feeling adrift, and if having a list of silly, meaningless goals keeps me anchored, keeps me goal-oriented, keeps me writing, then that’s what I’m going to do.
I had fun getting stuff done on the 30×30. Like I said, I may not have even completed half of it, but the half I did do had me living harder and deeper than I do without a big to-do list. I liked that feeling. Meaningless purpose is better than no purpose, right? This isn’t rocket science. It’s just fun and growing and (this year) organization. And proving my faith in the written word: if you write it down with the intention of checking it off, you’re more likely to do it.
So here’s my 31×31…and a half, as I’m once again giving myself until December to finish. Thanks to Rob Roan for continuing to push himself, inspiring others, and encouraging me to plow ahead too. Thanks also to those I stole ideas from.
Here goes nothing:
1. Ride a motorcycle
2. Take a cooking class
3. Write a screenplay
4. Tell a story at The Moth
5. Take a belly dancing class
6. Take a tap class (seriously this time)
7. Find the best cupcake in NYC
8. Surf somewhere cool. ie, not the tristate area
9. Get pin-up photos taken
10. Go kayaking
See a Daily Show or Colbert Report taping
12. Write a novel for NaNo
13. Get business cards made
14. For reals: yoga
15. Go to a tattoo convention
16. Do a Polar Bear Plunge
Go to a Restaurant Week Restaurant
18. See Mikey
19. Write one short story a month (500 words or longer)
20. Submit four pieces of work of some kind a month
21. Host a dinner party
22. Read 50 books, including 5 “classics”
23. Organize my New Zealand and Thailand pictures into albums/frames
24. Do two Time Out NY recommended things a month, or at least two museums
See Louie C.K. live
26. Purge my life of stuff
Try Fondue (I know I know, how is possible this cheese obsessed girl has never had fondue)
28. Do volunteer work
29. Make a big pitch (more details later)
30. Go speed dating. ONCE.
31. Run a 5k or Half Marathon with my dad.
Bonus points for completing any of the following from the 30×30:
Complete Walt Whitman
Snowboard or ski
Hot Air Balloon
Go to all 26 NYC area National Parks
Learn guitar…or perhaps, the banjo!
What do you think? Still too ambitious? I leave it to Robert Browning: “Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp. Or what’s a heaven for?”
If you want to join me on any adventures, let me know. The more the merrier.